Dentist in White Bear Lake, MN Shares Proper Brushing Time
Brushing your teeth is one of the most important ways to protect your mouth from decay and disease. Despite how important it is, most people still don’t brush the proper way or for the right amount of time. Here’s what you should know.
How Long do Most People Brush Their Teeth?
While these numbers are just an average, they give a good indication of how long people brush their teeth. The interesting thing is that most people agree that they brush their teeth for the proper amount of time, but these numbers sure show otherwise.
Average people brush their teeth for:
• Two minutes total per day
• Multiply this by seven days and you have 14 minutes per week
• As you look at the yearly total, it would be a little more than 12 hours per year
• That adds up to over 38 days in a lifetime
How Long Should People Brush Their Teeth?
Now let’s take a look at the recommended amount of time you should be brushing your teeth.
• Six minutes total per day
• Multiply this by seven days and you have 42 minutes per week
• As you look at the yearly total, it would be a little more than 36 hours per year
• That adds up to 122 days in a lifetime
As you can see, the average person is brushing their teeth one-third of the time they should be. When you look at the statistics, it’s no wonder that many people also suffer from gum disease and tooth decay. When we don’t take the time to brush properly, we can’t expect our mouth to be in good health.
Don’t forget that brushing is just one piece of the clean mouth puzzle. It is just as important to floss once a day as well. These two actions, when done together, keep your mouth in optimal condition. In addition, you want to be sure that you are visiting the dentist twice a year for a checkup and professional cleaning. If you have questions or concerns about how much you brush your teeth, be sure to speak with your dentist in White Bear Lake, MN at your next appointment.
White Bear Lake Dental can be reached at (651) 653-3802, please call our office today!